Monmouth University Poll: Majority of Americans Continue to Support Sending Weapons to Ukraine, Sanctioning Russia

“America’s support for Ukraine remains steadfast even in the face of economic concerns at home.” Patrick Murray, director of the independent Monmouth University Polling Institute

The latest poll numbers from Monmouth University Polling….

Americans of all partisan stripes continue to back sanctions on Russia – including a fuel import ban – in response to its invasion of Ukraine. The Monmouth University Poll finds that public opinion has barely budged in the past two months – not only on support for sanctions, but on their impact both in Russia and here in the United States. Large majorities are in favor of supplying arms to Ukraine and bolstering the security of our European allies with U.S. troops. Most Americans worry about the potential use of nuclear weapons in the conflict, although that concern has declined slightly since March.

More than 3 in 4 Americans (77%) back the economic sanctions imposed on Russia in response to its invasion of Ukraine. This is down only slightly from Monmouth’s poll two months ago (81%), due entirely to a decrease among independents (from 78% to 71%). However, the percentage who support a ban on Russian gas and oil imports (78%) is identical to the March poll. At least three-quarters of Republicans, Democrats, and independents alike support these fuel import sanctions.

Most Americans believe these sanctions are affecting Russia’s ability to continue its invasion of Ukraine, but only 21% feel they are having a major impact, which is down nominally from 25% who said the same in March. Another 50% say these sanctions are having a minor impact. Just 24% feel they are having no impact. At the same time, most Americans believe these sanctions are hurting the U.S. economy to some degree – including 32% who say they are hurting a lot and 34% who say they are hurting a little. Another 30% feel these sanctions are having no impact on the nation’s economy. In March, 33% said the sanctions were hurting the U.S. economy a lot, 39% a little, and 25% not at all.

The poll also finds more than 3 in 4 Americans (77%) support sending weapons to Ukraine. This support is higher among Democrats (88%) than it is among Republicans (77%) or independents (70%).  About 2 in 3 Americans (66%) support sending U.S. troops to support our European allies as a deterrent to keep Russia from invading those countries, which is similar to the 69% support recorded two months ago. On the military presence question, Democrats (78%) are more supportive than Republicans (65%) and independents (59%).

Just over 6 in 10 Americans are concerned that the conflict will lead to the use of nuclear weapons, including 21% who are very worried about this and 42% who are somewhat worried. The combined number (63%) who are worried about the possibility of a nuclear war is a few points lower than it was in March (69%). Concern on the nuclear question has dropped among Republicans (from 72% in March to 59%) and independents (from 65% to 57%) but has risen among Democrats (from 71% to 79%).

Public opinion is slightly negative on President Joe Biden’s handling of the Ukraine situation. Currently 43% approve – which is down from 46% two months ago – and 50% disapprove – which is up from 48% in March. Despite bipartisan support on the sanctions imposed by his administration, just 12% of Republicans give Biden a positive rating for his overall handling of the crisis, compared to 78% of Democrats who approve.

In other poll results, few Americans (5%) say that Russia’s actions in Ukraine are justified, while 90% say they are not justified. In March, 7% felt the Russians were justified.

The Monmouth University Poll was conducted by telephone from May 5 to 9, 2022 with 807 adults in the United States.  The question results in this release have a margin of error of +/- 3.5 percentage points. The poll was conducted by the Monmouth University Polling Institute in West Long Branch, NJ.

Go here to dig deeper into the poll and methodology.

Сейчас уже никто не берёт классический кредит, приходя в отделение банка. Это уже в далёком прошлом. Одним из главных достижений прогресса является возможность получать кредиты онлайн, что очень удобно и практично, а также выгодно кредиторам, так как теперь они могут ссудить деньги даже тем, у кого рядом нет филиала их организации, но есть интернет. - это один из сайтов, где заёмщики могут заполнить заявку на получение кредита или микрозайма онлайн. Посетите его и оцените удобство взаимодействия с банками и мфо через сеть.